19 October 2013

Memories from San Francisco

It's been two months! Holy Moly...where did the time go?
Well, since last time I wrote on this blog, there has mainly been work, work and more work as I have moved to another department and have been in training and working late hours the last couple of months.
However, there have been some fun as well....

On Friday the 13th!!! (September) I went to San Francisco to watch the last races of the America's Cup. The trip has been planned for a year and I was really looking forward to it. As some of you know, my darling hubby is working forOracle Team USA and have done so for a few years so to go and watch the races was a BIG thing for us.

When I left NZ our team was losing big time. Emirates Team NZ had one more race to win and they would have won the Auld Mug (see bottom picture) to take back to NZ. So you can imagine living in NZ and supporting an American Team can be quite a difficult thing to do when you are working among hard core Team Emirates NZ supporters....




So I left the office on Friday with a feeling that it would just be another race and then we would have (a sad) holiday. My first two races to watch in San Fran was the next day and our team started to win again!
The atmosphere was great within the team and the feeling of hope was back. Every day sailing was on we went to the base or down to the AC village to watch the races, to see all the supporters and dock off for the sailors before they left on the boats.
We kept on winning. Amazing feeling...and the thoughts that this could actually turn around for our team came back....and the nerves...man...the nerves was almost killing me.






















In between racing, there was also time for some shopping. Shopping is very good in San Fran. We also had a bike trip crossing the Golden Gate Bridge. Not a bad thing to do either. San Fran is a windy place and we did feel it all the way to the bridge biking against the wind. What a view though! Check it out....


 



 I had to go back home when it was still three races left. Work was waiting. It was not like I really wanted to, but that's life. Hubby had the possibility of staying behind a few more days to see the last races just in case we won. Good on him. He has been working very hard and should absolutely see it all up close.

I got home to see the next two races on TV and had to go to work on the morning when the last race was on. Nerve wracking....

....but we won!!!! I so wish I was still in San Francisco to see it cause it must have been fantastic to see it up close. Below you can see my very happy man.

Until next time Oracle Team USA...Thank you for a very good time in San Fran!


If you want to feel a little bit of the excitement here is the highlights from the last races.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!
Please leave a message :)