19 April 2011

Danish Coffee Cake

This recipe was found in my favourite Danish magazine, Alt for Damerne.
I have been testing this recipe a couple of times now and it seems to work with all kind of fruit.
In the original recipe bananas were used, but since I had heaps of feijoas and apples on my kitchen bench I thought I rather use that. For those of you that don't know the feijoa fruit, it tastes slightly sweeter than the kiwi fruit.

Picture from www.altfordamerne.dk















Here is the recipe:

3 bananas (ripe)
1/2 dl / 50 ml. cold coffee (instant is fine)
150 gr. soft butter
250 gr. sugar
3 eggs
300 gr. flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
optional: 100 gr. dark chocolate, chopped

I used approx 2 apples, pealed and cut into small pieces and 7-8 feijoas cut into pieces
Instead of chocolate, I used a tablespoon of baking cocoa.
After the flour is added, it gets a bit dry. I added a tiny bit of orange juice to moisture the base.

This is how you do it:
  1. Preheat oven to 175C (not fan heating!), grease the cake tin approx. 24cm/dia.
  2. Mash the bananas (or other fruit) with a fork, mix it with cold coffee.
  3. Mix soft butter and sugar, add the eggs - one at the time in a separate bowl.
  4. Mix the baking powder, flour and chocolate with the fruit.
  5. Mix fruit with butter & sugar mix. Stir (and taste. It is yummy!).
  6. Pour it into the cake tin and slide it into the oven on the bottom rack. Bake for approx 1 hour - check it every 20th minute so it doesn't go dry.
  7. Allow to cool - if you can. If not, have a glass of milk next to it.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!
Please leave a message :)