I think it is time for a recipe again. I have tried this one myself and it tasted good according to my guests.
Moussaka (4-6 portions)
800 gr minced meat (or lamb mince)
2 medium aubergines
1 big potato, pealed and divided into thin slices
500 ml white wine
600 ml milk
4 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
100 gr cheese (from cheese milk if possible)
1 tablespoon fresh, chopped oregano
2 twigs thyme
1 bay leaf
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
Salt and pepper
- Wash and cut aubergines into slices. Put into a colander, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and stir around with your hands. Set aside for 30 min. Wipe salt of the aubergines afterwards.
- Cut a cross in the skin of the tomatoes and put them into boiling water for approx. 1 minute. Keep them under cold water, peel and remove the seeds. Cut the tomatoes into cubes and set aside.
- Fry onion for approx. 5 min. Add garlic and fry for another minute. Add mince, fry for 5-6 min.
- Add white wine and boil until it absorbs. Add tomatoes, bay leaf, oregano, thyme and cinnamon. Stir well. Let it boil on low heat for approx. 40 min., stir while cooking. Add salt and pepper for your taste. Remove the thyme and bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180C and make the cheese sauce.
- Melt the butter, add flour and milk. Boil for 1-2 min. Stir well to avoid lumps! Add salt and pepper and half of the cheese. Cool it down before you add the egg.
- Place the aubergines in the bottom of a large, "greasy" oven dish, then the potatoes slices, 100 ml cheese sauce and mince sauce. Add the rest of the sauce on top and cover with shredded cheese. Bake for approx. 1 hour or until golden brown.
Happy Friday! :0)